Original post and full credit to: http://www.ihaveapc.com/2011/07/how-to-install-and-use-avg-antivirus-in-linux-mint-ubuntu/
But in case that page ever goes down, here’s a reiteration of its mentioned steps:
- Download and install the package file for your distro from http://free.avg.com/us-en/download.prd-alf
- Open a command line and run sudo avgctl
- Restart your computer.
- Open a command line and run sudo avgupdate to update your virus definitions.
- Run this command to do a full-system virus scan: sudo avgscan / -a -H -c
- Optional: Add the argument -l (lowercase L) to automatically heal infected objects, or the argument -t to automatically delete infected objects, or the argument -u to automatically move infected objects into a vault.